Welcome to my Blog

Hi, my name is Suanne and I am writing this blog to share some of the tips and recipes I have learned or created with our backyard garden. The garden itself is actually my husband John's but we have had a garden for over 25 years so I have picked up some garden knowledge along the way. We live in Austin, Texas so we are blessed with a year long growing season. We always have something to eat from the garden and this pretty much dictates what we eat. All of our meals are planned around what happens to be growing at the time. One of the biggest challenges is what I like to call crop maintenance. What to do with all of the vegetables? Beyond sharing with the neighbors and friends I am always trying creative approaches to preparing the bounty. So the blog seemed like a good way to both keep track of and share my recipes.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Seeds to Starts


John is on a new mission to only plant from seeds in the garden so he has been scouring heirloom seed catalogs and has purchased seeds for both pepper and tomato heirlooms.  We found out last year that the heirloom varieties seemed to be more resistant to the leaf loppers that pretty much destroyed our tomatoes last year. So we are trying something new.

We have planted 7 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.  Black Krim, Brandywine, Beef Steak, Cherokee Purple, Sweet 100 Cherry, a Japanese variety called Katana, and Red Siberian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment