Welcome to my Blog

Hi, my name is Suanne and I am writing this blog to share some of the tips and recipes I have learned or created with our backyard garden. The garden itself is actually my husband John's but we have had a garden for over 25 years so I have picked up some garden knowledge along the way. We live in Austin, Texas so we are blessed with a year long growing season. We always have something to eat from the garden and this pretty much dictates what we eat. All of our meals are planned around what happens to be growing at the time. One of the biggest challenges is what I like to call crop maintenance. What to do with all of the vegetables? Beyond sharing with the neighbors and friends I am always trying creative approaches to preparing the bounty. So the blog seemed like a good way to both keep track of and share my recipes.

Monday, January 7, 2013

John planted a bunch of Radicchio this year and it is ready to be picked. I need to use it up as he wants to use the space to plant something else.   I have a few recipes that I use with Radicchio but I went on the prowl for some new ones.  Here is one I tried last night.


Grilled Radicchio Salad


2 small heads of Radicchio quartered.
Shaved parmisan cheese
Balsamic Dressing

Douse the radicchio with some olive oil salt and pepper.

Grill until wilted and browned but not burned.
Chop, add dressing and coat.  Top with shaved  asiago.


Balsamic Dressing


1/4 cup Balsamic (I used a Mandarin Flavored Balsamic from Texas Olive Ranch)
1/4 cup good quallity olive oil
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
pinch of salt

Add all ingredients to a jar, cover and shake.  Store leftovers in frig.

No comments:

Post a Comment