Welcome to my Blog

Hi, my name is Suanne and I am writing this blog to share some of the tips and recipes I have learned or created with our backyard garden. The garden itself is actually my husband John's but we have had a garden for over 25 years so I have picked up some garden knowledge along the way. We live in Austin, Texas so we are blessed with a year long growing season. We always have something to eat from the garden and this pretty much dictates what we eat. All of our meals are planned around what happens to be growing at the time. One of the biggest challenges is what I like to call crop maintenance. What to do with all of the vegetables? Beyond sharing with the neighbors and friends I am always trying creative approaches to preparing the bounty. So the blog seemed like a good way to both keep track of and share my recipes.

Monday, January 7, 2013

A few garden pictures.  As you can see we still have quite a bit despite all the days below freezing.  So far we have been lucky this year and not had any days below 20.

This is our parsnip patch and I am very excited about these.  We haven't harvested any yet but we should be able to soon.  I can't wait.

These are our Tuscan kale plants.  As you can see by the bare stems we have been able to harvest quite a bit.  This is one of those great bang for the buck crops.  This is only 5 plants but they just keep growing so you harvest the bottom leaves and new ones grow.  So there is a VERY long growing season for these which is good since we really like kale.  It is so versatile.  It can be eaten cooked or raw.  Kale chips are one of my favorites.

These two trays are our 2013 tomato starts.  We are only growing heirlooms this year.  8 different kinds.  Right now they are out side enjoying the sunshine.  We will bring them in this afternoon so they don't get too cold tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment