Welcome to my Blog

Hi, my name is Suanne and I am writing this blog to share some of the tips and recipes I have learned or created with our backyard garden. The garden itself is actually my husband John's but we have had a garden for over 25 years so I have picked up some garden knowledge along the way. We live in Austin, Texas so we are blessed with a year long growing season. We always have something to eat from the garden and this pretty much dictates what we eat. All of our meals are planned around what happens to be growing at the time. One of the biggest challenges is what I like to call crop maintenance. What to do with all of the vegetables? Beyond sharing with the neighbors and friends I am always trying creative approaches to preparing the bounty. So the blog seemed like a good way to both keep track of and share my recipes.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Garden change over



John harvested all of the red cabbage, carrots and parsnips in preparation of planing the peppers, eggplant, cucumbers and zucchini. What a haul. So I guess this week we are eating a ton of carrots and parsnips. We have had them stir-fried, grilled and tonight I am making carrot and parsnip soup. Tomorrow is St Patrick's Day so we are having corned beef and yes you guessed it red cabbage. Ok not quite traditional but we use what we have.

Now I just have to find room in the fridge for it all.

Carrot and Parsnip Soup

1 onion diced
2 tblspoons olive oil
2 tblspoons butter
6 medium carrots diced - 2 cups
6 medium parsnips dices - 2 cups
4 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
Salt and white pepper

Heat oil and butter in large soup pot. Saute onions over med high heat until golden.
Add carrots and and parsnips and saute about 3-5 minutes. Add broth, bring to boiling simmer and simmer for about 30-40 minutes until carrots are tender. Add ginger, salt and white pepper to taste.

Puree in batches in a blender or use immersion blender.

Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment