Welcome to my Blog

Hi, my name is Suanne and I am writing this blog to share some of the tips and recipes I have learned or created with our backyard garden. The garden itself is actually my husband John's but we have had a garden for over 25 years so I have picked up some garden knowledge along the way. We live in Austin, Texas so we are blessed with a year long growing season. We always have something to eat from the garden and this pretty much dictates what we eat. All of our meals are planned around what happens to be growing at the time. One of the biggest challenges is what I like to call crop maintenance. What to do with all of the vegetables? Beyond sharing with the neighbors and friends I am always trying creative approaches to preparing the bounty. So the blog seemed like a good way to both keep track of and share my recipes.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Arugula


Arugula is a spicy, peppery salad green. It works well by itself with a champagne vinaigrette and some blue cheese and pear. Or you can add to other lettuce greens. I have also stir fried it and added to soups.

You can plant arugula seeds in September and it will keep growing pretty much all winter if you cut it back frequently. I usually will snip off all of the leaves for an entire plant and then new leaves will grow back.

Steak and Arugula

1 New York Strip - seasoned with salt and pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves crushed
Salt and pepper
a bunch of arugula enough for 2-3 people
Parmesan, Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Grill the steak on high heat 3 minutes per side for med rare.
Mix together in shallow dish vinegar, oil, garlic and salt and pepper.
Add the cooked steak to the vinegar mixtures 1 minutes per side. Slide against grain and add sliced pieces of beef back to vinegar mixture to coat.

Dress arugula with a couple of tablespoon each of balsamic vinegar and oil. Divide greens on plates and add sliced beef on top. You can add some Parmesan shaving to the top as well as any leftover marinade from the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment