Welcome to my Blog

Hi, my name is Suanne and I am writing this blog to share some of the tips and recipes I have learned or created with our backyard garden. The garden itself is actually my husband John's but we have had a garden for over 25 years so I have picked up some garden knowledge along the way. We live in Austin, Texas so we are blessed with a year long growing season. We always have something to eat from the garden and this pretty much dictates what we eat. All of our meals are planned around what happens to be growing at the time. One of the biggest challenges is what I like to call crop maintenance. What to do with all of the vegetables? Beyond sharing with the neighbors and friends I am always trying creative approaches to preparing the bounty. So the blog seemed like a good way to both keep track of and share my recipes.

Monday, June 21, 2010

More Eggplant

Inspired by a dish we had in Spain I decided to try making Albondigas which are meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce. I chose bison as the meet because of its leanness. But I picked a few of our Japanese eggplant and a banana pepper, along with an onion and diced all of the vegetables up and sauteed them until they were soft. I let this mixture cool and then added this to the bison meat.
The meatballs turned out very tender and juicy but without all the fat.

Bison Aubergine meatballs with spicy tomato yogurt sauce.

1 lb ground bison
2 Japanese eqqplant
1 pepper such as banana or Serrano or pablano
1 med onion
2 oz of breadcrumbs - progresso italian works well here, but not panko
1 egg
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper


Cut the onion, peppers and eggplant into a small dice. Saute in a few tblspns of olive oil until soft.
Cool and add to bison along with the rest of the ingredients.
Form into small balls and dredge in flour.
Heat some olive oil in a med high pan and cook meatballs until browned on all sides. Serve with the Tomato yogurt sauce below.

Tomato Yogurt Sauce
1/c cup tomato frito - which is a tomato sauce with tomatoes onion, garlic, a little sugar and vinegar.
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
some cayenne to taste
1/2 cup yogurt
2 clove crushed garlic
Juice of 1/2 lime

Combine all ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment