Welcome to my Blog

Hi, my name is Suanne and I am writing this blog to share some of the tips and recipes I have learned or created with our backyard garden. The garden itself is actually my husband John's but we have had a garden for over 25 years so I have picked up some garden knowledge along the way. We live in Austin, Texas so we are blessed with a year long growing season. We always have something to eat from the garden and this pretty much dictates what we eat. All of our meals are planned around what happens to be growing at the time. One of the biggest challenges is what I like to call crop maintenance. What to do with all of the vegetables? Beyond sharing with the neighbors and friends I am always trying creative approaches to preparing the bounty. So the blog seemed like a good way to both keep track of and share my recipes.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

and now a few words about Compost


We are going down to Natural Gardener today to get some compost to begin preparing some of the beds for the spring garden. Compost is an essential part of the garden as it adds organic materials that feed the microbes in the garden. The microbes turn this into waste which naturally feeds the plants. If you are purchasing compost use different kinds each season as it add a variety of organic material and keeps the garden healthier. One word of caution on compost is to wait a couple of days after adding to the soil as it can burn new plants.

To add compost remove the old plants or cut them off at the roots add 3 to four inches of compost on top of the beds. Using a pitch fork dig down about 8 inches if possible and let the soil and compost combine by have it drop through the tines of the forks.

No comments:

Post a Comment